Organize Your Gear With A Good Fishing Backpack
When you are going out on a fishing trip, there is always so much gear that you want to bring along with you so that you are prepared no matter the circumstances. Unfortunately, a regular school backpack that you used to use is not going to be the best backpack for carrying around your fishing gear.In a hurry? See our #1 fishing backpack pick at Amazon
If you want a backpack that has the ability to be able to carry your hooks, lures and bait in you are going to want something that is more secure and that is capable of holding more weight and sharper objects than that of a school backpack. In order to help you be able to pick out a fishing backpack of your own, we created a buyer’s guide to help you out below, as well as our top fishing backpacks recommendations.
- Top 10 Best Fishing Backpacks for the Money (2017-2018)
- What To Look For In A Fishing Backpack
- Our Fishing Backpack Reviews
- Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack (W/ 3 Medium Utility Boxes SPB006) Review
- Wild River 3606 Multi-Tackle Large Backpack Review
- Wild River by CLC WT3604 Tackle Tek Nomad Lighted Backpack (with Four PT3600 Trays) Review
- Piscifun Sports Shoulder Bag Crossbody Sling Fishing Tackle Bag Review
- Benkii Dry Bag Backpack Review
Top 10 Best Fishing Backpacks for the Money (2017-2018)*ratings based on value, performance and quality
What To Look For In A Fishing Backpack
Need some help knowing what to look for when shopping for one of these? You can use our guide below to get a better idea of your options, as well as the list above of our picks for the top fishing backpacks on the market so that you have an idea about some of the options that are actually out there.
If you want to have a bag that lasts you more than just one fishing season then you are definitely going to want to pay attention to the materials that it is made of. You should take a look at both the seams of the bag to make sure that they are reinforced as well as the zippers on the bag to make sure that they are of a high quality. You will want to make sure that a metal zipper is used in the design as plastic tends to break over time. In addition, you may also want to make sure that the pack itself is made up of a durable, thick material like canvas so that you can be sure that the pack will be able to withstand having hooks and other sharp objects inside of it.
This is the most important component to look for in a fishing backpack. A fishing backpack with large pockets and no means of proper organization is just a poor backpack. It is important to be able to organize your fishing gear into various components on the bag so that you can have quick and easy access to your gear when you are out on the water. We all know that our time out on the water is unfortunately limited so having something to keep you organized and allow you to get fishing faster is the type of product that you want to look for. Sometimes you can even find good fishing backpacks with rod holders to make organization even easier.
Beyond just having a variety of areas that you can store all of your fishing gear, you also need to find a bag that has a large amount of storage space inside of it so that you don’t have to cram things in with other things and still end up having to go searching for your fishing gear. You may want to take into account the amount of fishing gear that you have in the first place when you are deciding on a bag as sometimes a small backpack is sufficient for some people depending on the amount of gear that they have.
When you are out on the water the last thing you want to be doing when you have a fish on is rooting through your backpack trying to find yourself a pair of pliers so that you can take the hook out of the fish’s mouth. To avoid this, look for a bag that has some smaller exterior pockets that allow you to have quick and easy access to some of your tools. This isn’t just for pliers either, pockets like these are ideal for storing things like snacks and drinks so that you don’t have to go rummaging through your bag to find them.
This is actually one of the most important aspects of a fishing bag, especially if you are one of those people who likes to fish all day long. A fishing backpack can be quite heavy once all of your fishing gear is inside of it so you will want to make sure that you buy something nice and comfortable. In order to make sure that the backpack you are buying is comfortable, make sure that you look for a design that has both padded as well as adjustable straps as this will allow your shoulders to be more comfortable under the weight of the bag. If you are really looking for long term comfort you may also want to look for a bag that incorporates a padded back design or the use of a support strap around your waist so that you can take some of the weight off of your shoulders and move it to your torso.
Making sure that your backpack is a weatherproof design is essential for any serious fisherman. Especially if you are doing fly fishing and you are going to be standing in the water while you fish. If you chose to not get a weather proof bag it is just going to be a pain as you will always have to be watching the weather in order to make sure that your personal items are safe and dry. Instead of worrying, just make sure you look for this before making a purchase.
One thing that you may want to look for in a backpack, that is actually a very cool feature is lighting. Some backpacks have lights built into their design which allow you to be able to see what is in the bag as well as what is around you. This is ideal if you are a fisherman who likes to go out early in the morning or someone who likes to fish late at night when the light isn’t so good.
Our Fishing Backpack Reviews
Below our editors share some of their favorite models on the market to help you make a better buying decision.
Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack (W/ 3 Medium Utility Boxes SPB006) Review
If you have a medium size budget for a fishing backpack and you want to make sure that you are getting something that is of a high quality, you may want to consider buying this type of backpack. This bag is made up of high-quality materials, which will allow this bag to last for longer before breaking down. This bag has a ton of organizational capabilities and is definitely an awesome bag for someone looking to keep their fishing gear organized and in one place.
- There are three utility boxes packed into the design of this unit
- The unit has a fishing rod holder built into its design, which is ideal for being able to hold your fishing rod with ease
- The unit has a ton of pockets so that you can easily store both your personal items as well as all of your fishing gear
- A sunglasses case is built into the design of this bag so that you never are stuck out on the water without a pair of shades to protect your eyes
- The unit has a middle cooler compartment, which is ideal for both food and drink storage
- Side zippered compartments on the bag allows you to be able to store some items that you want quick and easy access to
- The unit is capable of sitting upright so that when you set the bag down it doesn’t get covered in dirt and muck
- The bag sells with a lifetime guarantee, which definitely helps to make up for the higher price of the fishing backpack
- The unit only comes with a black design, which may not be something that you are interested in
- The bag does come with a bit of a higher price tag
- If you have a massive amount of fishing gear that you want to store in your bag, you may want to purchase a bag with more than three utility boxes in its design
If you want to make sure that you are purchasing a quality backpack to hold your fishing gear in, you should definitely make sure that you look carefully at this design. The bag has a pretty good amount of storage space for your fishing gear but most importantly has designated spots for personal items as well. If you can afford the purchase price of this backpack you are not going to be disappointed ever, especially thanks to the lifetime warranty that this product comes with.
Wild River 3606 Multi-Tackle Large Backpack Review
If you want to get a rally large backpack because you have a ton of fishing gear, you may want to make sure you check out what this one has to offer. The bag has a ton of storage space and comes in an eye appealing green design. The bag can come with or without trays depending on your needs. If you want to get something with a lot of room and some really cool features to assist with your fishing, you should carefully read through these pros.
- There is a waterproof pocket in this backpack so that you can feel comfortable taking your personal items and mobile device out on the water
- This backpack is capable of fitting up to six trays in its design, which is ideal if you want a lot of organizational options within your fishing backpack
- There is a very nice and comfortable shoulder strap built into the design of this backpack
- The unit has a built-in work surface in its design, which is ideal for when your line gets tangled or if you need to set things up to get ready for the day
- There is a sternum strap built into the design of this backpack, which offers extra support and more comfortability when you are carrying around a heavy load
- Base pads on the bottom of the backpack will allow you to set the bag down without worry about getting your bag dirty and your bag contents wet
- Convenient side pockets without zippers are ideal for holding things like pliers and snacks so that you can grab them quickly as you need
- The measurements for the bag are given so that you can be sure that the bag will fit all of the fishing gear that you need
- The product only comes in green, which some people may not be a fan of
- If you don’t have a lot of fishing gear, this is a pretty large design and you may not need this much room in a backpack
If you can afford to pay for the higher price of this backpack and you want to make sure that you can hold everything that you need, you aren’t going to be disappointed with all of the storage options built into this backpack design. This is definitely a comfortable backpack to wear even when it is loaded up with fishing gear. It is hard to find bags with so many convenient features that doesn’t have an outrageous price tag, but this one certainly fits those characteristics.
Wild River by CLC WT3604 Tackle Tek Nomad Lighted Backpack (with Four PT3600 Trays) Review
If you have a really high budget for a fishing backpack and you want to make sure that you have a balance of convenience and storage space, you will love what this bag has to offer. This bag is quite large in design and is made up of some very durable materials allowing you to be able to store whatever you like within the bag. This is a bag that is capable of being able to hold heavy items with ease and yet does not sacrifice much comfortability with its design.
- The design has a built-in LED lighting system, which will allow you to easily be able to search through your fishing gear in poor lighting conditions. The product has a built-in rain cover in its design so that you can make sure that the contents of your bag don’t get wet
- You will find a sunglass holder built into the design of the bag so that you can always have quality eye protection on the water
- Pliers specific holder on the unit will always keep you ready and able to take a fish off of the hook
- This backpack sports some pretty large shoulder straps, which are also padded in order to allow you to be as comfortable as possible
- The unit has a ton of storage pockets, which will allow you to easily be able to hold both your fishing gear as well as your personal items
- There is a carrying strap on the top of the bag in case your shoulders need a break
- Base pads on the bottom of the backpack are ideal for making sure that you don’t get your things wet
- Internal and external mesh pockets will keep things nicely secure
- There are a lot of web loops in this bag design, which is ideal for clipping tools and various fishing components onto
- Front pocket of the bag can fold down in order to provide a handy work surface
- The price of this backpack is definitely steep
- The backpack design itself is quite large if you don’t have a lot of fishing gear
- There is no waterproof pocket built into the design of this bag, which is not ideal for going out in a boat with things like cell phones and other electronic devices
This backpack is the ideal storage solution for someone who has a lot of fishing gear and a high budget for a bag. You will love the built in LED lighting system that this bag possesses and you will also enjoy the very large amount of storage that is built into the design of the unit. This is definitely a very high-quality bag that is more than capable of being able to keep you organized and prepared for whatever comes your way. Definitely a bag worth considering if you can afford its higher price point.
Piscifun Sports Shoulder Bag Crossbody Sling Fishing Tackle Bag Review
If you are on a low budget and you don’t have a ton of fishing gear, you may be interested in this product. This bag is a shoulder bag, which will allow you to be able to have one arm free while wearing the unit. This bag comes in seven different color options and has quite a lot of pockets in its design for being such a small size.
- The size of the backpack is given so that you can make sure that all of your gear will fit in the design
- The bag is lightweight in design, which is ideal for long day out on the water
- This is a bag made out of a durable canvas material, which is great for making sure that you don’t tear your bag
- This bag has a multi-purpose design and would also work well for something like hiking or camping
- The price tag on the backpack is quite low and definitely a good option for someone looking to save some money
- Mesh and zippered pockets allow you to have a mix of convenience and security for your personal items
- This is definitely a bag on the smaller side of things and if you have a lot of fishing gear, this may not be an ideal bag for you
- If you plan to carry heavy fishing gear, this product does not use both shoulders for support and therefore you may want to avoid this design
If you have a low budget, this is definitely a bag worth considering. You will love the number of pockets crammed into the smaller size of this bag and it is always nice to have something that is a multi-purpose design. This is an awesome bag if you want a one shoulder strap design that is both lightweight and comfortable to carry around for extended periods of time.
Benkii Dry Bag Backpack Review
If you are looking for a fishing backpack in order to make sure that your things stay dry and safe, you may have been looking for this bag all along. This bag may not have a ton of organizational pockets, but it will ensure that your things stay nice and dry. This is a very comfortable backpack and as long as you don’t have a ton of fishing gear to fit into it, this could be a bag that would work for you.
- This bag is designed to be very lightweight in design and has comfortable straps for extended wearing of the bag
- The company offers a satisfaction guarantee on this bag to give you some peace of mind
- This is a multi-purpose backpack, which is awesome for someone who doesn’t go fishing all of the time
- The bag comes in five different color designs so that you can get something that suits your personal tastes
- The bag comes in a 10, 15 20 as well as a 30-litre design, which is ideal for making sure that you have enough storage space for everything that you need to carry
- The low price tag of this backpack is extremely appealing for people on a budget
- Comes with a waterproof phone case so that you don’t have to worry as much about your mobile device getting wet
- There are not a lot of organizational pockets in this design
- There are no cases in this design allowing you to be able to hold your sharp tackle within the bag
- Nothing in the way of convenience pockets or loops for tools and other fishing gear
If you don’t have a ton in the way of fishing gear and therefore organization is not a key factor in your decision, you should consider this backpack. The lightweight design of this bag combined with the comfortability of this unit is ideal for this kind of a low price tag. If you want to save some money, you should definitely make sure that you consider this bag among your options.
After reading through this article hopefully, you now have a better idea about the kinds of things you should look for in a fishing backpack. It is a good idea to take an inventory of your fishing gear so that you can decide on the size that you need before you make a purchase. Always remember to make sure that you know who you are buying from so that you can make sure you are getting a quality product as well. Best of luck with finding a new backpack for your fishing and good luck catching all those fish!
top image licensed at Deposit Photos